Sunday 20 April 2014

May Short Fiction Contest

Welcome to the latest monthly short fiction writing competition here on The Cult of Me blog. Every month I post a new picture and you can then write and submit a short story (with a maximum word count of 500 words). At the end of the month I will pick the winners and announce them on this blog.

The winner's stories will be available here (and promoted across KUF, Goodreads, Twitter, Facebook and Stumbleupon and anywhere else I can) and you'll also have a link to your blog or website displayed alongside your story if you win.

Winning stories will also be compiled in a collection later in the year, proceeds from the sales of that collection will be used to help fund the prizes for this competition.

The winners will also receive an Amazon gift card:
  1. First Prize is a £50 gift card
  2. Second prize is a £20 gift card
  3. Third prize is a £10 gift card
Details on how you can enter are provided below and I'm looking forward to reading your entries!



We go old school for this month's short fiction contest image. The moon was one of the first inspirations for human story telling and still holds our imaginations generations later. I'm looking forward to reading what different stories are sparked from the moon.

As always, thanks to everyone who has entered and a big thank you to everyone who has supported the contest. Please continue that support by sharing the link to this contest wherever you can, it's much appreciated!

Please make sure to check your story for typos before submitting. I don't mind a few errors, but my enjoyment of a story is diminished if I have to wade through too many.

I'll post the winning entries by June 1st 2014.

As with everything in life there are a few rules:
  1. Only one entry per person.
  2. The story must not be longer than 500 words.
  3. Closing date for submissions is May 18th 2014.
  4. By submitting the story you grant me a non-exclusive license to use it. I'll only post the winning entries.
  5. You also grant me a one time non-exclusive license to include the story in an e-book release.
  6. The judges decision is final.
Use the form below to enter your submission. After you've submitted please leave a comment on this page stating that you have submitted. And please help spread the word. I'm working to make this a regular feature so I need readers for the stories as well as entrants.
As well as comments section below you can chat about this competition in any of the threads I've listed below. If you don't know the sites then entering the competition is a good way to introduce yourself. Note that these sites are not affiliated with the competition in any way!

KUF: http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/thread-13760.html

Goodreads (UK Amazon kindle Forum group): http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/977021-michael-brookes-horror-science-fiction

Kboards: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,152168.0.html

If you've started you're own thread or discussion somewhere about this month's competition then let me know and I'll add the link to this page.

38 comments:

  1. By co incidence, I've been working on this this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just submitted a little something. The content of this short story isn't too pleasant but I enjoyed the image enough that when something came to mind, I ran with it. I'm Alissa by the way, I hadn't sent anything in before and figured I would this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alissa, and I don't mind dark stories :-)

      Delete
  3. Made it a point to get something submitted this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally got round to doing this one. Tricky subject, very open and it will be interesting to see what people come up with.

    Philip Coutts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've entered. Wish now I had added a sentence but I guess it's too late now! ;p

    Lisa Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me a message and I can add it if you want.

      Delete
  6. Submitted! Thank you!
    -Robert R. Mitchell
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1160964.Robert_R_Mitchell/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Submitted my entry! Such an inspiring image, thank you!

    Sarah Bird

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just submitted my entry for this month's contest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just entered as I need to fund my book and music habit over at, "Amazon". Great contest, Michael, great idea. Thank you for it! However, I do have one issue as to a typo--or correction--needed if that is all very well? In the second-to-last paragraph, it should be 'silver TAIL' and not 'silver tale'. Oh dear--I know better than to write while tired! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've submitted my story, "Walking Only In The Night"

    Thanks. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Submitted 'Sacrifice' thanks for the opportunity.

    -Jeante

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thought I wouldn't get the chance to enter this time but came up with a little time, so here it is. Thanks again for this contest, Michael. If it wasn't for this, I may never have tried to write such shorts, and I've truly enjoyed the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michael,
    Just submitted 'Mourning by Night'
    Thanks again for the opportunity
    Andrew C-K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little something called "When the Moon is up" has now been submitted to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Submitted my entry. As always, thanks for running the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Submitted my masterpiece. Thanks for this wonderful opportunity. (Please don't mind few errors) My name's Aravind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Submitted an entry yesterday.
    I love this blog. and tried my hand too. >.<
    Hope it entertains you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I submitted a wee story called 'Drive' on the 5th (or 6th, depending on time-zones). I regretfully have to withdraw this story, as it is being published elsewhere. Thank-you for your time, and my sincere apologies.

    Benjamin Blake

    ReplyDelete