Monday 5 May 2014

Guest Author Interview - J. U. Scribe

In today's guest author interview I am joined by J. U. Scribe, author of Before the Legend, find out more about him and his writing below:

Click image to purchase book from Amazon

Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
I’m J.U. Scribe, but for those that know me personally I go by Joe or Joseph. I’m an indie author who also does some freelance blogging on the side. By day I work in the field of IT but at night I’m a writer/blogger.

What first inspired you to start writing?
It first started in the fourth grade when we were made to write our own book about anything we wanted. It started off as a class assignment but the more I wrote, the more I found myself actually enjoying the story I was creating. It wasn’t though until middle school when I decided to write just for the fun of it. I think personally I was inspired partly by my love for history and in part by other stories I’ve read in middle school including The Giver. The way writers such as Lois Lowry were able to create new worlds and characters that drew you in and really made you think about life and the choices we take for granted are still embedded in my mind. The book I have out now stemmed from a story about a boy in Roman times that was stuck in my head and I felt his story would come alive in writing otherwise I would forget the idea while it was still fresh in my mind. That was the birth of my story series.

And what makes you keep writing?
I keep writing because from time to time I’ll get new ideas that pop in my head that I’m curious to explore. I love to see how my storylines evolve and exploring the growth of my characters. For me it’s a way to explore endless possibilities.

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
This is a tough one! There are several historical figures I found fascinating whether it be in the history books or in the Bible. I would sure love to spend the day with Jesus. So many prophecies were written about him hundreds of years before his birth that he fulfilled. Besides being perfect and healing others, he sounds like a humble down to earth person you would want to be around.

What was the last book you enjoyed?
I’m really enjoying the book, Let’s Get Visible by David Gaughran. Still reading it by the way and loving every bit of it. He gives practical suggestions for self-published writers seeking more visibility for their works and using simple techniques outlined in his book to drive more sales for your book. (Does this count if it didn’t finish yet? If not I recently reread The Giver by Lois Lowry which is my favorite story of all time.)

What do you find most rewarding about writing?
One of the most rewarding things about writing is seeing how others are touched or engaged by your characters and storyline. Receiving sincere positive feedback about my stories is fuel for me to continue writing despite the challenges. If I can create real characters that grab the reader and make you care then I did my job as a writer.

And the most challenging?
One of the most challenging things about writing involves more of the technical aspects of getting it ready for publishing such as editing and formatting which can be very tedious and difficult. But looking at just the writing aspect of it, writing the midpoint can be particularly challenging because it’s easy for the plot to lose steam, so it’s a challenge sometimes to find ways to propel the plot towards the climax and ultimately ending the story.

What are you working on at the moment?
In addition to marketing, Before the Legend, I’m also working on the fourth and final book to the series, Chasing Blue which I hope to complete by 2014.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
My latest work is my debut novelette; Before the Legend- The Prologue just released this past November. You can find out more about the book my blog Writer's Nook

Find it on Goodreads

Smashwords

Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment