Sunday 15 June 2014

July Short Fiction Contest


Welcome to the latest Short Fiction Contest here on The Cult of Me. This month's image has a post apocalyptic feel, something I'm sure you can all have fun with.

Remember that the prizes have now changed, if you win the prizes are available as an Amazon gift card or PayPal payment. 
  1. First prize is a £50 Amazon gift card or PayPal payment
  2. Second prize is a £20 Amazon gift card or PayPal payment
  3. Thirds prize is a £10 Amazon gift card or PayPal payment
Entry to the contest remains free and the prizes come out of my own pocket, although I do make a little from advertising on this blog. So if you see something of interest then feel free to click on the links and purchase away! If you haven't tried my books yet then check them out at the top of the page, as well as buying a good read you'll be helping this contest.

Please make sure to check your story for typos before submitting. I don't mind a few errors, but my enjoyment of a story is diminished if I have to wade through too many.

I'll post the winning entries by August 1st 2014.

As with everything in life there are a few rules:
  1. Only one entry per person.
  2. The story must not be longer than 500 words.
  3. Closing date for submissions is July 20th 2014.
  4. By submitting the story you grant me a non-exclusive license to post the story on this blog.
  5. You also grant me a one time non-exclusive license to include the story in an e-book release.
  6. The judges decision is final.
Use the form below to enter your submission. After you've submitted please leave a comment on this page stating that you have submitted. And please help spread the word. Great stories deserve great readers!

As well as comments section below you can chat about this competition in any of the threads I've listed below. If you don't know the sites then entering the competition is a good way to introduce yourself. Note that these sites are not affiliated with the competition in any way!

KUF: http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/thread-13760.html

Goodreads (UK Amazon kindle Forum group): http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/977021-michael-brookes-horror-science-fiction

Kboards: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,152168.0.html

If you've started you're own thread or discussion somewhere about this month's competition then let me know and I'll add the link to this page.

72 comments:

  1. Harrison Cutts16 June 2014 at 14:35

    Entry Submitted. Good choice of image, by the way. It was very nice to work from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    Just submitted my entry, hope you like it! I'm really interested to see what the other entrants were inspired to write.
    DeeDee. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spurred on by success I've finished my half-done entry for this month this afternoon - hope you like this one! It's.... a bit dark. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey michael i'm done submitting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just submitted, can't wait to read the winners. Mine's a tad bit of a twist of the photo, though. Just what came to mind first. -Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just sent my story for July. I was pleased to find out I won something in last month's competition! Thanks for the Amazon gift card, which I used to buy a box set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering John and congratulations on being one of June's winners!

      Delete
  7. Hi, I just entered - I saw your thread on kboards and clicked through, such a fun discovery! Look forward to reading the winners and popping back to visit your blog more in furture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. Feel free to share this discovery wherever you can! :-)

      Delete
  8. Submitted! Can't wait to read the winners here either! Mine's kind of... weird... - K S Hart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Submitted. Had lots of fun writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Submitted. I've gone for a fantasy take the post apocalypse/ruined city from POV of a visiting mercenary company. Looking forward to reading the winning entries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hat thrown into ring.
    -DMB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only discovered you today. Looking forward to getting to know your work better.
    Made a submission in the form of a journal entry that I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Michael, here's my take on that great picture prompt! This contest has given me a lot of practice in writing shorts and I really appreciate it. This one I may expand into a longer piece... as soon as I get the time. :-D Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea, it's always good to see your entry.

      Delete
  14. I've entered the arena against gladiators of bloggers and literacy geeks... fist entry of many i hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just like to point out the lack of a comma there changing the meaning of your last post, Mr. Brookes, from what I assume you meant.
      I'm now suddenly amused by the idea of a gay couple bearing the same first name.

      Delete
  15. Submitted, that was a lot of fun to do, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Submitted. Really enjoyed writing that, hope you enjoy reading it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Submitted, enjoyed the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Submitted. Have taken a bit of a different twist with this, but just wrote what I first thought when I saw the photo - which is great, by the way !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good and I have a very cool image lined up for August :-)

      Delete
  19. Submitted mine yesterday, good fun! thanks. Gregor

    ReplyDelete
  20. Submitted an entry. Looking forward to seeing the winners!
    - Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Submitted. It was fun to write it. I hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  22. I only found out about this competition two days ago, so it was a quick turn around to get something submitted. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Michael, I've just submitted my entry. This is the first competition I've entered in years. I live in the remote Ethiopian Highlands and endure frequent, prolonged power cuts, which can make it difficult to submit work in time for closing dates. I enjoyed writing a story inspired by the image provided. It'll be interesting to see what other writers come up with. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - the fun part of the contest for me is reading the entries :-)

      Delete
    2. Hello again Michael, I'd like to blog about this competition on my website. Can I use the image above? If so, to whom should I credit the photo?

      Delete
    3. That's fine and no credit is needed.

      Delete
  24. Just submitted my entry and now following your blog. Thanks for this opportunity it was great fun and hope you enjoy my slightly odd take on the post apocalyptic theme.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Michael. I was able to get something submitted in time. Love doing this. Lots of fun and a great distraction from my novel ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I hope you're novel is going well.

      Delete
  26. Cheers for the opportunity man. I had a great deal of fun writing the short story and can't wait to see the winners! - Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Entered. Thanks again for running the comp. It was a tricky image this month.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Christian dabnor19 July 2014 at 17:41

    Been lacking writing discipline of late, so it was good to write to a deadline. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just submitted my entry.

    Regards,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Michael, thanks for the opportunity again. Andrew CK

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just submitted my entry, first time I've done anything like this so I had a lot of fun! Looks like there's a lot of stiff competition who are probably more experienced at this kind of thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, submitted a story. Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello, I'm hoping I wasn't too late submitting my story. I sent it in this morning but I forgot to leave a coment. Sorry about that, I won't forget next time. I also didn't take into consideration the time difference.

    ReplyDelete