Sunday 28 December 2014

Fourth Drabble of Christmas - Happy Christmas, Dad by Jonathan Hill


I'm posting this a little later than usual thanks to a fun weekend visiting family. I now have an abundance of tanks that need building! I'm back now which means it's time for the fourth drabble of Christmas and today's is a poignant one from  the master of drabbles Jonathan Hill:

Happy Christmas, Dad by Jonathan Hill

“I know it’s not much, but I had to get you something, didn’t I? Mum won’t like me giving you them, what with your diabetes, but I won’t tell if you won’t. They’re your favourite. You once complained of them playing havoc with your teeth but that didn’t stop you scoffing the lot. Make these last, eh?”

I shivered as the wind unpicked my coat’s belt. Dad didn’t seem fazed by the cold. He didn’t even mind when a robin came and relieved itself over him.

“Happy Christmas, Dad,” I said, carefully resting the bag of toffees against the headstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment