Thursday 30 April 2015

Drabbles of Art - The Fall of the Damned by Peter Paul Rubens


This week's Drabble of Art is based on The Fall of the Damned by Peter Paul Rubens and I quite believe I've not seen this painting before. Those of you that know my writing will adgree that it fits in nicely and I had great fun writing a drabble about it!

If you've not read the previous drabbles in the series then you can find them all here:

http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/p/as-promised-in-last-weeks-final-post-in.html


The Fall of the Damned by Peter Paul Rubens

I witnessed the moment when the archangel Michael cast Lucifer and the rebels out of Heaven. Even he seemed surprised when God decreed that their punishment would be banishment. Many of us expected that the punishment would be more severe considering their sin.

The first sin in all creation.

Nobody died in the war. Angels can’t die unless God himself dissolves us. Nobody died, but plenty suffered – on both sides. And then when I watched the pit open and Michael force the rebels into it we realised what Hell meant and dissolution would have been a far more merciful fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment