Wednesday 20 March 2013

Guest Author Interview - Jenelle Schmidt

Jenelle Scmidt is today's featured author being interviewed, read what she has to say to say below:



Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Jenelle Schmidt. I am a full time author and stay-at-home mother of two delightful little girls. It can often be hard to balance writing and life, but most days I feel like I manage alright.

What inspired you to start writing?
I have loved books and stories for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories revolve around listening to my dad reading stories out loud (or making up stories) to my siblings and me before bedtime. I started writing stories almost as soon as I learned to write. I recently discovered a short “story” I wrote when I was six or seven about my little brother, so apparently I began writing pretty early. I dabbled in writing poetry and short stories, and even a longer sci-fi novel through high-school, but the thing that really set me on a “career” of writing was my father’s challenge to me in college to write an adventure story (and finish it!) during the summer between my freshman and sophomore year.

Are you a planner? Or do you prefer to dive straight in to writing?
I prefer to dive straight into writing... but I have discovered the wisdom of planning. My first few books I dove into with reckless abandon, and paid dearly for it in editing later on down the road. Now, I spend a lot more time planning out the story: outlining, world-building, character-creating, before I ever start writing the story. It’s more work at the front end, and I sometimes find it tedious, but it’s better than having to do massive re-writes later on.

If you could work with any author, who would it be?
Without question Timothy Zahn. He’s one of my favorite authors, and if I had to pick an author I would like to resemble in my writing career, it would be him. I don’t want to be known only for one gigantic series, I would rather have many trilogies with a stand-alone novel here and there, and I want them all to be fantastically written and unique from each other. I marvel at his skill to create all-new worlds and story-lines that are so dissimilar and yet all have his signature style and voice.

What is your favourite part of writing?
When the story starts to take off and almost writes itself. I’m sure other authors have said this before, and I’ll not be the last, but there are moments when the story surprises me. A character shows up before I meant them to, says something I never consciously decided to have them say, or the story takes a twist I didn’t know I had thought of. Moments like that, for an author, are magical.


And the least?
Promotion and marketing. I wish there were moments when the books could promote themselves... but I guess that only happens when your readership pool is larger than... well, mine.


What advice would you give new or aspriring authors?
I have three pieces of advice: 1. write as much as you can, daily, if possible. 2. Read! Become an expert in the genre you wish to write. Read books outside that genre, too! 3. Learn how to accept honest, unbiased criticism without bursting into tears. You don’t have to change anything just because one person doesn’t like it, but until you can accept that sort of wound without flinching you will never be ready to put your work out there for the public to read it.


What are you working on at the moment?
Currently I am working on editing SECOND SON, the second book in my Minstrel’s Song series in hopes of being able to publish it this Spring (2013). I am also working on the first book in a new trilogy, and hoping to have it finished by this summer so I can get it into the hands of my editor.


Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
My latest work that I have published is also my first: KING’S WARRIOR is the first book in a four-book series. The series is complete, as in I have finished writing the books, and editing on the subsequent books is currently in progress. You can learn more by visiting my website: www.jenelleschmidt.com

Available from Amazon

Thanks to Jenelle for sharing her thoughts with us, on Friday we welcome Bob Craton to the hot seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment