Thursday 21 March 2013

Guest Author Interview - Sara Boyd

In what can only be described as a technical failure on my part my guest author interview with Sara Boyd missed it's scheduled release (don't ask!). What that means is that you lucky people get an extra Thursday special. Sorry Sara!




Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
Hello, my name is Sara Boyd.  I'm a translator, author, DIYer, cook and child school and activity driver, in a particular order.  The particular order depends on the day.

What first inspired you to start writing?
Boredom.  Sounds weird but that’s how it started.  I was bored at school and instead of text messaging/tweeting I wrote stories where my best friends and I were main characters.  Then they would read it.

And what was your first story?
My first complete story was a screenplay about a woman forger and a rogue secret agent.  I lost that manuscript and the backup disc where I kept it.

If you could work with any author, who would it be?
There isn't just one author I would like to work with.  I think it would be interesting to do apprenticeships with different authors to practice various aspects of writing: Martin Amis for style; I like his command of the English language.  I would like to have a tour into Stephen King's mind and I like Margaret Atwood's dystopian worlds.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
The best part is when a new story is fully formed and ready to write.  However, I love every bit of the process, the going over the drafts and versions, correcting it, re-doing scenes, everything.

And the least?
Promoting my books is what I most dislike.  I'm shy and I feel lost in the virtual world.

What advice would you give new and aspiring authors?
Write for the pleasure of writing, write because you love telling stories.  Believe in your writing, your characters, your story.  If you don't, nobody else will.  If you want to self-publish, join the group.  It's a beautiful nightmare, well worth the ride!

What are you working on at the moment?
Since I lost that first screenplay I wrote, and since technology has evolved a bit since then, I'm writing a novel loosely based on that lost manuscript.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
My latest novel is a coming of age romance, the love story between foster siblings.
Fate is what you can’t choose and the lives of the Cooper family and young Nick Stewart are changed when Nick’s mum dies.  He is left behind by his diplomat father to live in Argentina with the Coopers, a family of British expats.  Mia Cooper and Nick become soul mates, sharing games, jokes, and holiday adventures in Patagonia and the Andes mountains as they grow together through their teenage years.

But when Mia and Nick fall for each other, neither of them dares to declare their feelings and both must suffer the agonies of unrequited love and seek comfort in second best love affairs that turn sour and may even become dangerous.

They also have to deal with Mia’s jealous sister Sam, her stormy relationships of deceit and mistrust, and the trials of approaching adulthood. In a story that roams from Buenos Aires to New York, will Mia and Nick learn that, once they have each other, nothing else matters?

My book is out on Amazon:
Amazon UK
Amazon US

You can visit my blog: http://saraboydauthor.blogspot.co.uk
I'm on Twitter @saraboydauthor and on Facebook Author Sara Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment