Friday 25 April 2014

Guest Author Interview - Craig Furchtenicht

Craig Furchtenicht, author of Dimebag Bandits joins me for today's Guest Author Interview, discover more about him and his writing below:

Click on image to purchase from Amazon

Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Craig Furchtenicht. I am 43 years old. I live in the beautiful state of Iowa in the USA with my wife, Henrietta. I pay the bills by working as a technician in a toothbrush manufacturing facility. I keep my sanity by writing as often as time permits. I also enjoy the outdoors, gardening and rock hunting. I am a voracious reader of good fiction. Reading is my drug.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I fell in love with short stories in grade school when I stumbled upon a copy of The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. The ending blew me away. Novels such as The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton made me realize that there was an outlet for my wildly overactive imagination.

Where do your best ideas come from?
Most of my ideas come to me during my morning shower or my drive to work. I also get inspired by real life events that I read or see on the news. Occasionally my wife will pitch me an idea and say "You should write a story about that." She is usually always right.

What do you find most rewarding about writing?
Holding a print copy of my first novel, Dimebag Bandits was an amazing feeling. I also love the fact that complete strangers are reading thoughts that were spawned from my own warped mind.

And the most challenging?
Time, more the specifically the lack of time is the biggest challenge. I rarely have a lack of things to write, just the time to get them on paper. I have to sleep some time.

What is your favourite song lyric?
Mother
Tell your children not to walk my way
Tell your children not to hear my words
What they mean
What they say
Mother

Mother
Can you keep them in the dark for life
Can you hide them from the waiting world - Danzig, Mother

What makes your writing different?
I think that my writing, although a bit edgy, is laden with a sense of truthful reality that sometimes cuts to the bone. I do not bother toning it down to be politically correct or easy to swallow. If my character is an evil person or an ignorantly hateful bigot, then so be it. These characters do not represent me in any way shape or form. I feel that too many writers are afraid that they will be perceived as bad people if their characters are too explicit in dialogue and substance. This only takes away from the true point of the work.

What are you working on at the moment?
I am currently working on a collection of short stories called Night Speed Zero. I am also starting a follow up to Dimebag Bandits. It is tentatively titled Meat Man. It is about a vegetarian who works as a meat cutter in a grocery store. He is an extremely shy character who gets thrust into a situation beyond his control. Without giving too much away, several characters from Dimebag Bandits make appearances in this novel as well.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
My novel Dimebag bandits is available on Amazon in both ebook and paperback formats. It is set in a fictional town in Iowa. The main characters make their living by robbing drug dealers. The job is dangerous but their greatest danger comes from each other. It is also about families divided by betrayal and lack of trust.

Click here to purchase Dimebag Bandit from Amazon

Link to the video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7sz4WmkWI

No comments:

Post a Comment