Saturday 17 May 2014

June Short Fiction Contest

Image courtesy of Victor Habbick / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Welcome to the latest Short Fiction Contest here on The Cult of Me, this month sees the one year anniversary from when I first started the competition. In that year I've read some great stories and the competition has gone from strength to strength thanks to all you wonderful writers and readers!

To celebrate I'm making a few changes to the contest, the biggest change is that the prizes are now available via PayPal as well as Amazon gift cards, so the prizes are now:


  1. First prize is a £50 Amazon gift card or PayPal payment
  2. Second prize is a £20 Amazon gift card or PayPal payment
  3. Thirds prize is a £10 Amazon gift card or PayPal payment
Entry to the contest remains free and the prizes come out of my own pocket, although I do make a little from advertising on this blog. So if you see something of interest then feel free to click on the links and purchase away! If you haven't tried my books yet then check them out at the top of the page, as well as buying a good read you'll be helping this contest.

The rules of the contest have changed slightly, the main change is that any submitted story can be published on my blog, it's non-exclusive so you're free to do whatever you want with your story, although I do require that if your story is a winning story then you wait until after it has been posted here before releasing it elsewhere. The rules are listed in full below, so make sure that you read them before submitting your story.

We've had quite a few horror themed pictures recently, so I've decided to take inspiration from my other love - science fiction - for this month's picture. Your story doesn't have to be science fiction though, it can be of any genre as long as it is 500 words or less and relates to this month's image.

Please make sure to check your story for typos before submitting. I don't mind a few errors, but my enjoyment of a story is diminished if I have to wade through too many.

I'll post the winning entries by July 1st 2014.

As with everything in life there are a few rules:
  1. Only one entry per person.
  2. The story must not be longer than 500 words.
  3. Closing date for submissions is June 15th 2014.
  4. By submitting the story you grant me a non-exclusive license to post the story on this blog.
  5. You also grant me a one time non-exclusive license to include the story in an e-book release.
  6. The judges decision is final.
Use the form below to enter your submission. After you've submitted please leave a comment on this page stating that you have submitted. And please help spread the word. Great stories deserve great readers!

As well as comments section below you can chat about this competition in any of the threads I've listed below. If you don't know the sites then entering the competition is a good way to introduce yourself. Note that these sites are not affiliated with the competition in any way!

KUF: http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/thread-13760.html

Goodreads (UK Amazon kindle Forum group): http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/977021-michael-brookes-horror-science-fiction

Kboards: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,152168.0.html

If you've started you're own thread or discussion somewhere about this month's competition then let me know and I'll add the link to this page.



41 comments:

  1. I wasn't going to enter this month since SF frightens me, but then this story popped into my head. New rules sound great - thanks for running this competition Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sent my story. Thanks for doing this competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just submitted my entry. I'm excited for the contest!
    ~Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since I submitted anything. I got my creative juices back. Hope you like the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael,

    Found myself with a spare couple of hours and hadn't written anything in ages so I thought I'd have a go at writing an entry. It's my first attempt at anything this short, so please be gentle. :-)

    Hope you're well!


    Lee/User Blerk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you - I hope you're busy editing :-)

      Delete
  6. Er.. yeah. Sure. Something like that. :-/

    /hides games

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michael
    Thanks for the opportunity again
    Andrew C-K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michael

    Just sent my story for the June contest.

    Anita D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quick question, what actually IS this picture? It looks like Yoda dancing with a little ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fetus floating in space, but you can interpret it as you want for the purpose of the story.

      Delete
  10. Harrison Cutts7 June 2014 at 15:34

    Entry Submitted

    ReplyDelete
  11. For better or worse...submission sent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Submitted an entry, looking forward to reading the winners :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't think I'd have time but managed to get a kind of short one in. Thanks again for this contest, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The image made me feel something I haven't experienced. Submitted my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Entered. Thanks again for running this comp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just entered. Great to discover this exciting competition, though the sci-fi look of the picture was pretty daunting. Best of luck to everyone entering.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just joined this competition and sent my story. I found out about this site and competition from Aravind, the winner of May 2014 ( 1st place) .

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just submitted my work and upon the brink of midnight yet; oh how I love the midnight hour. Thank you for this opportunity, Michael, and best wishes to you! And good luck to everyone else entering the contest this month!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, just submitted my entry - thanks again for running this contest.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just submitted my story. I don't know how good it is, but it's there. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete